Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Salam Aleikum !!

Ours is a very conservative middle class South Indian family . And all men have been clean shaven – since generations ..  Probably ever since our early ancestors managed to chop off their beard with a well sharpened  stone axe !

So, moustache, beard, french beard and even  side-burns have been a taboo !

I am the only non conformist and demonstrated my lack of respect for such tradition right since a couple of strands started appearing on my chin…

A sad looking goatee in my teens, a healthier mustache in college and a smart  beard during my post grad days .

However after joining a serious job and then a marriage later on, all of this disappeared .  A moustache though remained for a long time and at times it was luxuriant enough to challenge Graham Gooch, OBE ( the famous English cricketer  ! )

And I tried many times to regrow... over the past many years...  but never could succeed. Too much family pressure and job related challenges guaranteed infant mortality to all my initiatives . Each time my beard growth strategy survived between  15 days to a  max of 45 days before it got guillotined by the Gillette !!

Until  now !!

It has been a 3 week vacation for me and I am sporting a healthy ‘salt-pepper’ beard .

Having been thru all the usual banters , sarcastic comments, warnings, threats and curious looks from neighbors, I can now call myself a survivor !  Many even  thought that I was recovering from some  serious illness and  offered sympathetic nods as I passed them .

Today was ‘payback‘ day !!

During my morning walk, I took one of the routes that pass by a busy bus stand. As I approached a group of early morning travelers I noticed a distinguished looking  old man in spotless white Kurta, a white flowing beard and wearing an embroidered taqiyah ( muslim cap ) .  And  as I got nearer, our eyes met and he instantly pronounced “Salam Aleikum”.

Pleasantly surprised, I returned back the greetings and added ‘ aapka safr acha guzare’ .

I could not have received a better endorsement for my new looks ..

And my beard is here to stay !!

Krish..

No comments:

Post a Comment