Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Crossing the road - Indian Style !!

I went for my morning walk . From my new guest house .Situated on a small road, half way in between a 2Km stretch of the 8 lane golf course road in Gurgaon – DLF Phase-1.

After my usual long walk I turned around  the signal @ one end of the main road and decided to take the return path on the opposite side .

Within a few minutes I realized my mistake .

This road has a generous median separating the 4 lanes of traffic  each way .And there are big bushes  and  street light poles and a thick wire mesh protection on both sides ! Making it impossible for anyone to jump across .

That meant I had to do an extra one Km up and cross the road, then  walk back to my guest house lane !

However I thought – this cannot be possible in India – a 2 Km stretch of un-breached fencing !!  I am sure there would be several enterprising fellow country men before me who would have faced a similar situation of crossing this road anywhere in between the 2 Km stretch !  Surely someone would have cut a small hole in the fences somewhere in between so that one can crawl through / or cut a small section so that we can squeeze thru to the other side !!!

And with this renewed hope I marched briskly closely inspecting the median fence .

And, very predictably , as I neared half way , there was a small cut in the fence – bang opposite my lane !!

And I happily dodged a passing vehicle , squeezed thru the opening and trotted up to the other side .

Very happy indeed !  I gained a few extra minutes of the morning !

And not so happy too – I lost the opportunity of losing some extra calories in the process !!

Krish..

No comments:

Post a Comment