Monday, November 8, 2010

Any Takers for Tinglish ??

Some of you would have heard of Singlish ( Singaporean English – What , La ?? ) .

And we are all proud of our own home grown Hinglish .

However,  I have not seen much mentioned  about Tamil English ( Tinglish ?? )

.

Tamilian English is Quaint !

It’s a unique style ( more than vocabulary ) spoken & punctuated by the typical South-Indian Tamil accent . ( Yevverry  one in my family is vorking for  either Yintell and Voracull . I say !! )

And it is  wonderful to hear it come out so effortlessly from young primary school kids especially .

.

Last year when I was visiting Chennai , I overheard this 5 year old girl in a dual pig tails  narrating a story to her 4 friends . 

And she started off …Yinn the forest ( Kaatril ) one ( oru ) Lionn ( Singam ) will be  ( irrukkum ) . A Hindi equivalent will be similar ( Jangal mein ek Sher tha ) . This literal translation caught my fancy and ever since  “ In the forest one lion will be “  has become my favourite phrase  .

And each time I hear  tamil kids  speak  English  , I can also clearly hear the English compilers in their heads translating , in real time  , clear tamil thoughts into exact spoken English !!

And its always amusing ..

And have you read Anurag Mathur’s – The Inscrutable Americans  ?? if not,  check it out !!

And I just finished 2 States by Chetan Bhagat – good read too !!!

Krish..

No comments:

Post a Comment